A top of line ICP-MS has been installed and commissioned in our laboratory in Delhi. Model NexIon 2000 of Perkin Elmer make is the latest innovation incorporating several advanced features which makes it a leader in trace elemental studies. The instrument is a replacement for the earlier Perkin Elmer ELAN DRC-e model which also provided excellent service for the past several years. The replacement became necessary to keep pace with the upcoming technical requirements.
The new system has several features and innovations which establish it as a global leader in the range of contemporary systems presently available in the market. Such features and range of applications are covered in the write-up.
- Ability to determine concentration range from ppm to ppq. Both low and high concentrations of elements present in the same sample can be estimated in the same run. A large linear dynamic range of 12 orders of magnitude helps determine different concentrations in the same run using the unique pre- isotope electronic dilution feature.
- Ability to handle up to 35% solids in samples without the need for dilution using all matrix solution (AMS) system.
- Patented triple cone interface and deflector controls and focuses the ion beam so effectively that there is no requirement for cleaning or replacement of the assembly.
- New solid state free running RF generator provides superior power and stability. The LUMI coil is guaranteed for the instrument lifetime and does not require water or gas cooling.
- Superior detector design provides the fastest data acquisition rates in the market.
- Small footprint in comparison to the earlier system has spared valuable space for other activities.
- Syngistix operating software provides user-friendly set-up and control of the instrument.
- The salient features listed help achieve a large number of analysis applications.
Toxic elements can be monitored in drinking water, wastewater, industrial effluents, sediments, and soils as well as water samples collected from sea, rivers, lakes, and ponds.
Trace metal impurities in pharmaceutical products are determined to prevent their harmful effects on patients. NexIon 2000 is specially designed to meet USP 232/233 and ICH Q3D compliance. The system is also in compliance with 21 CFR Part 11.
The system is capable of being interfaced with HPLC and capable of providing speciation studies on isotopic elements.
Ultratrace levels of some trace metals lead to defects in semiconductor devices. NexIon 2000 can serve as an effective tool in enforcing strict quality compliance of content of such elements in such devices.
Nanoparticles and single cells
Nanotechnology is making significant contributions to quality improvement in consumer, industrial, biotechnology, and healthcare products. NexIon 2000 ICP-MS is designed to support nanoparticle detection and research activities. Its single-cell detection capability helps evaluate the metals into cells. Such studies help in the evaluation of the uptake of metals by cells thereby contributing to our understanding of uptake of hetero-atom drugs to establish their efficacy.
NexIon 2000 ICP-MS holds a promise of its unparalleled application support in the conventional areas and will meet the challenges posed by newer applications in the foreseeable future.