Labeling violations are the easiest to catch for any food regulator as there is no testing or special investigation required, the product label itself serves as evidence of a violation. This might be the reason why labeling violations account for the largest percentage of all cases and penalties against food business operators in India.
Non-compliance to the labeling requirements also greatly hampered the import of food products into India and was widely covered in the news when there was a shortage of alcoholic beverages including wines and Scotch whiskey as the manufacturers were not complying with the labeling requirements in India.
Food business operators are usually caught on the wrong side of the law because of the lack of understanding of the important details related to the labeling of specific product categories.
There are a lot of variables that need to be accounted for when designing the label such as-
- Size of the label and what all has to be put on it based on the pack size and product category
- Whether the
license number and logo need to be displayed or not
- A font size of the various text written on the label
- Colour and location of the veg or non-veg symbol on the label
- A sequence for writing the ingredients in the ingredient list
- Where to use BEST BEFORE or Expiry Date or Use-By-Date; depending on the kind of product
- The extent of Nutritional Labeling to be done if required for that product category
- Confirming whether the ingredients used are permitted in the product category
- Correct classification of the product as per the food safety and standards act
- Use of pictures of fruits and vegetables or making any other special claims also needs to be substantiated
Above are just a few of the points and there are many more and it is quite difficult for the food business operators to remember and comply with the labeling requirements on their own.
To help solve this problem we are now offering the label review service to all our customers wherein we review and evaluate the compliance of the food labels as per the existing requirements laid down under the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006 and the various Rules and Regulations published by The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI).
At the end of the review, our team of experts provides the customers a detailed list of corrections that need to be made and we even certify the final corrected label for its compliance with the current regulations.
If you are interested in getting your product labels reviewed and corrected for compliance please feel free to contact us using the contact form on the right or you can call us now on +91-8588851888 and our team will be happy to help you with a proposal.